Thursday, March 26, 2015

Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver



Title: Vanishing Girls
Edited by: Lauren Oliver
Pages: 355


Dara and Nick used to be inseparable, but that was before the accident that left Dara's beautiful face scarred and the two sisters totally estranged. When Dara vanishes on her birthday, Nick thinks Dara is just playing around. But another girl, nine-year-old Madeline Snow, has vanished, too, and Nick becomes increasingly convinced that the two disappearances are linked. Now Nick has to find her sister, before it's too late.

In this edgy and compelling novel, Lauren Oliver creates a world of intrigue, loss, and suspicion as two sisters search to find themselves, and each other.


I received a review copy from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

My Rating:✰✰✰✰✰

Brief overview Review:
I was very happy that I was able to get an E-ARC of this novel since, for those of you who are unaware,  I am a huge fan of Lauren Oliver. She was one of the first young adult authors I read and loved instantly. Her first novel Before I Fall made me fall in love with young adult fiction, as well as her Delirium trilogy. When I first saw the title and cover for this book, I knew that it was going to be good. The synopsis was pretty vague and so I wasn't completely sure what I was headed into. But I was very happy to be reading something from Lauren again and I enjoyed this novel.


Spoiler Review:

I loved the main focus of sisters on this since I have a sister myself and it really is interesting to think of the different roles that we try so hard to fill in.
I thought that this story was focus more on the actual disappearance of girls which it wasn't. I think there should've been a different title that actually related to the sister plot line of this.

I really liked Nicole and Dara even. They were both flawed and I love reading about flawed, troubled people because it's real. They're so different from each other but they both are involved with each other's lives very heavily. The back stories showed us exactly how close they were to each other.

The story line of Madeline Snow wasn't as important to me as the main focus of their sisterhood, but I could see how it all ties in. Also, the thing with Andre was a little bit much and gave the book a whole other creepy tone.
I loved reading about Fanland because I love amusement parks. Those scenes were actually happy and painted a nice picture. Parker was a nice character and I also like how the romance wasn't over done.

I can't deny the fact that I loved the big twist and reveal of Dara already being dead and Nick suffering. That element really reminded me of We Were Liars and although I liked that book better, this one was still fantastic. I felt for Nick and understood how Dara could be irritable, but she still missed and loved her. I think the whole book was really just focused on that part.

No comments:

Post a Comment